I am an applied mathematician and a mathematical physicist. My current research is focused on quantum computation, complexity, and information theory. I also research the generic aspects of quantum matter, which convolves random matrix theory and free probability theory with quantum many-body systems. Every once in a while I foray into classical physics, chemistry, and engineering.
I am a permanent Research Staff Member in quantum theory and algorithms group (IBM Quantum) based at Yorktown Heights, NY. I work at theMIT-IBM AI Research labin Cambridge MA, USA. From 2015-2017, I was theHerman Goldstine Fellow in mathematics at IBM Yorktown Heights. In 2012-2015 I held postdoctoral positions at MIT, Northeastern University, and University of Chicago (with Leo P. Kadanoff).
34. (with J. Schenker) “An ergodic theorem for homogeneously distributed quantum channels with applications to matrix product states ”, arXiv: 1909.11769 (2019)
33. (with J. Gambetta, A. Mezzacapo, P.K. Temme) “Cost function deformation in quantum approximate optimization.” U.S. Patent No. 10,452,990. 22 Oct. 2019.
32. “Cayley path and quantum computational supremacy: A proof of average-case #P−hardness of Random Circuit Sampling with quantified robustness”, arXiv: 1909.06210, QIP2020 talk(2019), Featured in American Physical Society News Feb. 18., 2020 Era of quantum supremacy
31. “Efficient unitary paths and quantum computational supremacy: A proof of average-case hardness of Random Circuit Sampling”, arXiv: 1810.04681QIP2020 (2018)
30. (with O. Shtanko) “Stability of disordered Floquet topological phases”,
20. (with Peter W. Shor) “Supercritical entanglement in local systems: Counterexample to the area law for quantum matter”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: p. 201605716 (Nov. 7, 2016), arXiv: 1408.1657 QIP-15 talk,,Featured in MIT News Nov. 18., 2016. Entanglement bonanza
10. (with J. Chen, A. Edelman, E. Hontz, J. Moix, A. Surez, M. Welborn, T. Van Voorhis) “Error analysis of free probability approximations to the density of states of disordered systems”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 036403 (2012), arXiv: 1202.5839
Featured in MIT News June 22, 2012, Space Mart, Science Daily.
9. (with A. Edelman), “Density of states of quantum spin systems from isotropic entanglement”,Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 097205 (2011) [ QIP-11 talk ]
8. “A time-asymmetric process in central force scatterings”, arXiv:1008.0875, (2010)
6. (with E. Farhi, J. Goldstone, D. Nagaj, T. Osborne, P.W. Shor,) “Unfrustrated qudit chains and their ground states”, Phys. Rev. A 82, 012318 (2010),arXiv: 1001.1006
5. O.E. Rössler, D. Fröhlich, R. Movassagh and A. Moore, “Hubble-expansion in static space time”, Chaos, Solitons and Fractals 33, 770-775 (2007)
4. (with O.E. Rössler) “Bitemporal Sinai divergence: an energetic analog to Boltzmann’s entropy?” International Journal of Nonlinear Sciences and Numerical Simulation 6(4), 349-350 (2005)
3. R. C. K. Wong, L. G. Ko and R. Movassagh “A study of flow tortuosity in locked oil sand”, Canadian Journal of Petroleum and Technology Volume 43, Issue 1 (2004)
Refereed Conference Proceedings
2. C. Richmond, R. Movassagh, A. Edelman, R. Geddes, “Performance of sample covariance based capon bearing only tracker”, IEEE 45th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, Nov. 7 10 (2011)
1. C. Richmond, R. Movassagh, A. Edelman, R. Geddes, “Sample covariance based estimation of capon algorithm error probabilities”, IEEE 44th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, Nov. 7 10 (2010)